Powered by Blogger.

March 2, 2011

Drown me in love.

One of my Twitter friends recently quoted,
"It always feels like there's just one person in this world to love, and then you find somebody else, and it just seems crazy that you were ever worried."
I couldn't have worded better myself (or else I would have). While I was in the car today, I was thinking, as I often do while driving, about life and love, and my mind was just blown by the idea that there are billions of people in this world. Everyone wants to love and be loved. It's not even a question or a worry for me that I won't find someone to love. In fact, I'm at the place right now where I'm so content being single, not alone -there's a difference, and I just feel like I'm flying above it all. Yes, I have experienced love, and I have felt heartbroken in my life, but it all just seems so minuscule to me now. Those people that I loved and lost -friends, lovers, family- were just passers by along the road of life. There will always be those who walk alongside me, those that I can always call, and those that I carry in my heart, but what I've come to realize is that this is MY journey. And if I'm not happy walking it by myself, what makes me think I would ever find someone to travel with me. Every person, every relationship  represents a different season, a different phase. It's so fascinating how I've been shaped and how much I've learned thus far, and it amazes me even more knowing that I will experience and learn so much more. I've always said that I don't have regrets. It's true. Every experience, whether good or bad at the time, has taught me something valuable.

Love is a funny concept. It's something that can't concretely be defined, but it really does make the world go 'round. It perpetuates life. Love has the power to destroy and create. But I think that often times we give too much power to outside forces, when really all of the power we need can be found within. Love is not something uncontrollable, but it is sneaky. It can come upon us quicker than a flash of light and can go just as quickly. The important thing to understand is that we control our ability to love. I have always worn my heart on my sleeve. This is something I pride myself in -vulnerability. It's one of the most humbling and liberating characteristics. However, sometimes in my vulnerability, I have allowed myself to wander and become distracted from my journey. I always end up back on course, I can attribute that to God's grace, but for a short moment of my life, I feel almost as if I am out of control. Something I now know is only possible if I allow it.

This is my life. This is my heart, my mind, and my love. I am blessed. Never again will I doubt my worth, my identity, or my confidence. One of the best ways to ensure that we are in control of our thoughts is to dictate them -I do this by literally saying to myself: you are smart, you are pretty, you are funny, you are fun! etc. The power that lay in words can dictate emotions, actions, and thoughts. It's amazing. So whenever someone or something starts putting negative thoughts in my head, I know how to stand firm in my thinking. The idea that everyone has worth is so true. The beauty of diversity is that the world isn't boring. There IS someone for everyone. If ever someone feels like they will never find someone to love and be loved in return, all they have to do is remember how many amazing and different people there are in this world. If it doesn't work out with one person, it doesn't dictate how you should live your life. It's your life. It's your heart, and it's your love. You alone have the power to give it away, but this also means it's yours to take back. I've learned how to take back my love and my life. I already knew how to give it away, and this is something that I will continue to do until I find the perfect partner to share my journey with. It's not something I have to think about or try for. It's the easiest part of life, people will enter and exit as they please, and all you have to do is keep on walking.

2 comments:

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP